[MPlayer-users] How to adjust for overscan on HDTV?

Scott Milliken scott.milliken at e-comsultant.net
Fri Dec 29 21:27:52 CET 2006

Maybe I'm just blind and can't find the correct answer, but here's my
query...

I have a MythTV box set up on an ASUS M2NBP motherboard, which has
DVI-Out and integrated NVidia 6600 series graphics.  Using Powerstrip
I've been able to get the closest Modeline that will work for me, which
still has some level of overscan.  The "overscan" option in X appears to
only work with TV Out, but since I'm going out via DVI (using a
DVI-to-HDMI cable) to the TV I can't do that.  What I want to do is have
MPlayer always take up 1145x680 pixels, offset 77 pixels from the left
and 20 pixels from the top.  That's what my visible screen is.  I looked
at setting the X and Y with the -x 1145 -y 680 command line arguments,
but that doesn't appear to do the trick.  I also tried the -geometry
command line argument, also without the desired result of MPlayer
filling up the entire visible area, but *only* the visible area.

How do others handle this?

Scott Milliken