[MPlayer-users] [mplayer users][bug] 1.0rc1-3.4.2 DVD stream does not open (but was ok for 0.8pre)

Gary Henry tickettothemoon2004 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 30 20:42:46 CET 2006

(sent using Yahoo! mail - hopefully as a plain text, but I can't see how to enforce this)

With the earlier precompiled windows binary (0.8pre), I was able to play DVDs using the command line:
      mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device F:
 This was using the MPlayer-mingw32-1.0pre8.zip download.

 Replacing with the new binary MPlayer-mingw32-1.0rc1.zip downloaded from
 http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

 mplayer now crashes.

System:

OS:  Win 98
PC:  Pentium II 400MHz  (yes, old, but still useful!)

2 HDs fitted,
Disc 1:  partitioned as C:  &  D:
Disc 2:  E:

DVD drive (secondary IDE master):  F:
CD drive  G:

Contents of Config file:
#vo=directx
double=yes
dr=no
#subfont-text-scale=6
autosync=30
#framedrop=yes
#quiet=yes
#really-quiet=yes
cache=16384
#cache=8192
cache-min=80
#nortc=yes
#softsleep=yes
#fs=yes
loop=0
#fps=20
ontop=yes
#noslices=yes

mplayer crashes with the following output:

=================================

C:\Program Files\mplayer>mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device F:
MPlayer 1.0rc1-3.4.2 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Celeron Covington/Pentium II Deschutes,Tonga/Pentium II Xeon (Family:
 6, Model: 5, Stepping: 2)
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.

Playing dvd://1.

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: open_stream
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.

C:\Program Files\mplayer>

However 1.0rc1  is able to play .wmv movies fine, so there is no problem with bad instruction sets, etc.   I can confirm the player responds to changes in the Config file, so that the installation appears good.

What has happened to DVD play?

Rookie