[MPlayer-users] skipping while watching DVD

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sun Dec 31 03:52:34 CET 2006

On Sunday, 31 December 2006 at 01:28, jonathan wrote:
> If I watch a DVD the DVD skips all few seconds. The sound skips which is
> mostly noticeable but also the video-stream skips.
[...]
> If I use "mplayer -vo null dvd://" the sound skips too and if I open the
> DVD without sound the video-stream stucks too.
>
> If I use "mplayer dvd:// -ao oss:/dev/dsp1" oss is emulated by alsa. The
> sound is okay, but the video skips too. And I get an message:
> **** Your system is too SLOW to play this!  ****
>
> Playing an *.iso file works great. I have the same problems with VLC.
>
> I hope someone of you can help me.

Your symptoms suggest that your DVD drive has DMA disabled.
Use hdparm to check:
$ hdparm /dev/hda (substitute your dvd device for hda)
/dev/hda:
 IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)

Make sure using_dma = 1. If not, use hdparm -d1 /dev/hda to enable it.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://mplayerhq.hu http://rpm.livna.org