[MPlayer-users] roughly .25 second delay in playback of avi files

Ed Sweetman safemode at comcast.net
Wed Feb 1 04:05:28 CET 2006

I say avi files because I dont have any reliably in sync media files in
other formats.

The only other video players i have to compare mplayer to is gxine and
windows media player and vlc in windows (the windows players are on a
different 32bit computer).   My box is running dual core athlon 64 in
64bit mode.
Kernel is 2.6.16-rc1 (though this has been going on in every kernel
version i've tried since i made the box)

mplayer version is cvs (over the course of the previous weeks till now)
alsa playback, xv video output

I even tried the stream delay patch posted to the devel list and still
no change.

The problem is, playback of media either encoded by mencoder or
transcode or virtualdub is played back at about a quarter of a second
off, almost always the audio precedes the video.  I played with
different values of delay, and .25 seems to bring the audio back in sync
with every one I tried that was out of sync.   Only a couple seem to be
in sync by default, and it seems to be a fluke that it is, since they
were encoded by the same encoder using the same settings and the same
codec as the ones that are now out of sync.

The reason I believe this is an mplayer problem is that before i changed
to a 64bit system, on my old athlon tbird, these videos were in sync,
and right now, playing from the exact same copies, in windows (on
another box) they are in sync and with gxine (same box as mplayer) they
are in sync.  Only mplayer seems to be out of sync on most of the video
files.

I dont know what type of data could be useful, and the lack of anyone
else reporting the problem is not promising.   I can provide any info
required, but my experience playing with mplayer internals is lacking.

I've attached two runs of video files, one in sync (actually the only
one i've found so far to be in sync) and one of the out of sync ones,
encoded by the same program.  It's not using rtc, because tvtime is, but
this has no effect on the av sync problem.

Thanks in advance.