[MPlayer-users] Horrible a/v sync issues with lavc

hdp at webmail.co.za hdp at webmail.co.za
Thu Feb 2 10:08:35 CET 2006

Hi guys,

I have a HP nx6124 notebook with the following hardware:
Turion64 CPU
ATI motherboard chipset with integrated PCI-e Radeon M200 graphics
ATI sound.  I'm using the latest kernel with alsa compiled in, and the
latest binary ATI drivers.

I'm having horrible audio/video sync issues, so bad that I cannot set it
correctly (using + or -) because it doesn't seem to be consistent.

I used SUSE 10.0 x86_64 and tried the packman packages, but also
compiled from source, both 32bit and 64bit.  Now I'm running Gentoo
compiled for AMD64, and again I've tried the normal ebuild, the
mplayer-bin package, and also compiled from source for both 32bit and
64bit.  The avi files I'm trying to play are movies that I encoded with
mencoder (lame+lavc) on my AthlonXP PC, using the same commandline that
I've been using for years, and that play perfectly fine one every other
PC/notebook I have tried it on.  When I encode with xvid, this doesn't
seem to happen.

Xine plays them fine though on the notebook, so I don't think it's a
hardware issue.  But I have no idea where to start looking.

Any tips? I'll include the output below

Thanks
Hans