[MPlayer-users] Creating and playing MPEG stll images

Philip Walden pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 6 00:33:26 CET 2006

John Brown wrote:

> I do not know whether the following issues are bugs, so I will save a
> full bugreport with all the output for later.
>
> I cannot play MPEG still images in with MPlayer. I tried -idle, -loop 0
> and -fixed-vo. All I saw was a green MPlayer window flashing very fast.
> Without these options, the MPlayer windows appears and disappears
> immediately.
>
> I created the MPEG still image from a 704x480 JPEG like this:
>
> mencoder mf://menu.jpg -mf type=jpeg:fps=30000/1001 -ovc lavc -lavcopts v
> codec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=2000:vrc_maxrate=2500:vrc_buf_size=917:aspect=4/3
> -of
> mpeg -mpegopts format=xsvcd -o menu.mpg >> mplayer.txt 2>>&1
>
> At the end, MEncoder reports:
> Video stream: 9594.006 kbit/s  (1199250 B/s)  size: 40015 bytes  0.033
> secs  1 frames
> However, mplayer -identify menu.mpg gives ID_LENGTH=0.00.
>
> I can play menu.mpg in MS Media Player and Media Player Classic. I get
> the same result with MPEG stills copied from Michael Tam's demo SVCD,
> although I noticed that in MS MediaPlayer, my MPEG looked like a short
> clip looping indefinitely. The picture did not move, of course, but the
> progress slider kept jumping from left to right. The demo MPEG did not
> cause the slider to move.
>
> Nothwithstanding all the above, my SVCD's menu worked perfectly.
>
> To summarize, my issues are:
> 1) I cannot play MPEG still images in MPlayer
> 2) There is a difference between my MPEG still images and others,
>   although it does not seem to be critical
>
> I am using MPlayer/MEncoder dev-CVS-060124-18:40-3.4.2.

Sounds like the same problem I had a short while back. See "Having
trouble producing mpeg from mov".

I found that mpeg1 is not valid unless it is 24 or 30 fps. You need to
set -ofps to something. So maybe mpeg2 has the same problem?

Here is what I use to do the same for mpeg1:

mencoder -audiofile sound.mp3 -vf harddup -ofps 30 -of mpeg -mpegopts
format=mpeg1 -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts
acodec=mp2:vcodec=mpeg1video:keyint=25 -o out.mpg "mf://*.jpg -mf
type=jpeg:fps=24

I find that using ofps == 30 works better than 24. Otherwise you get
many ERROR: SCR: messages which results in a "jumpy" movie. I find that
avi format using vcodec=msmpeg4v2 produces much better results.