[MPlayer-users] Re: OSX: disable "auto-sleep" while playing a video?

gabor gabor at nekomancer.net
Tue Feb 7 00:42:22 CET 2006

The Wanderer wrote:
> gabor wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> i use mac osx.
>>
>> the problem is that when i'm watching something in mplayer, the
>> system seems to interpret it as 'nothing is happening', and acts
>> accordingly:
>>
>> 1. lowers the brightness of the screen after some time
>> 2. probably would later turn off the display, but i never wait so
>> long.
>
> I've observed the same type of behaviour, in Linux (with various VO
> methods). The problem did not always occur, but it's been around for
> quite some while, and I've got no idea when it first cropped up - or,
> for that matter, even whether the cause was a change in MPlayer or in my
> own system.
>
> In my case, the "blank screen when idle" functionality is handled by
> (apparently) xscreensaver; I just work around it by using 'xset s off'
> and 'xset s on' before and after every video-watching session I expect
> to last longer than about ten minutes, that being the trigger time.
>
> I'd be interested in seeing a proper solution provided; if there's
> anything I can do to help in that (testing, etc.), short of attempting
> regression testing over the past three years to see if it actually *was*
> a change in MPlayer that caused the problem to start appearing, just let
> me know.

unfortunately i also have no idea when this started and how, plus i
switched to mac-osx last year from linux, so i have total chaos about
this problem in my head :)

right now i am trying out the patch mr Strange sent to mplayer-dev-eng
(always good to find an excuse to watch more anime ;), which should help
me on macosx.

about linux+xscreensaver. what about the "-stop-xscreensaver" switch?
shouldn't it work in this situation?

btw. if there is anything to test on mac-osx (except to binary-search
the last 3 years for the problem), just tell me.

gabor