[MPlayer-users] Re: Echo, garbled realaudio stream in mplayer

WoofDef mplayer.20.flubberlubber at spamgourmet.com
Wed Feb 8 08:24:05 CET 2006

> The realaudio fix was (finally) commited to CVS, so grab a snapshot and
> see if this problem has already been fixed.

OK I'll try that and report back in a day or so.

In the meantime some further information:

1. Mplayer gives an error about invalid chunk size.

2. I think I was getting improved results with cache=2048 and noframedrop
options in the config file, but if I so much as touched the mouse the problem
immediately showed itself.  Later in the evening I tried again, the network was
working  better and the problem had disappeared altogether on the same stream
and was also gone in Xine, on which I hadn't changed any configurations (but the
problem was still present on another stream for both players, and realplayer
also had problems playing this, minus the garbling), so it does seem to be
related to the quality of the stream/connection at any given time.

Some qus:  How do you determine the best size for the cache?  Also, does
noframedrop do anything on an audio stream, or is it only for video, or does it
apply only for dumping a stream to a file?

> Broadband doesn't mean fast.  Broadband means multiple signals going
> over the same line at the same time.  ie. not baseband.

Thanks I didn't know that.  Actually I'm not sure it can handle too many
multiple connections either since it's wireless from a beacon on a nearby hill -
the ISP told me too many connections (like some file sharing clients, which he
didn't want me to run) jam it up. It's supposed to be 300Mbits "minimum".
Prozilla (linux download manager) opens 4 at once by default and it seems ok
with that most of the time.