[MPlayer-users] Re: Echo, garbled realaudio stream in mplayer

WoofDef mplayer.20.flubberlubber at spamgourmet.com
Fri Feb 10 11:59:14 CET 2006

> > Some qus:  How do you determine the best size for the cache?
>
> Trial and error.  The far-right number of MPlayer's status line shows
> you what % full MPlayer's cache is.  You can use that to help decide if
> your cache is large enough.

Is the goal to, say, get the cache filling to eg 75%, or is it just to make sure
it is never 100% full?

I've built mplayer from CVS ( dev-CVS-060208-20:43-3.2.3 )and the realaudio
stream garbling is *gone* - thanks.

I also made sure alsa support was configured and have kept the xine and mplayer
codecs separate by explicitly pointing mplayer at /usr/local/lib/codecs for the
compile (for one thing they want different versions of the realplayer codecs -
xine uses realplayer8/9 only).  Placed the 'all' codecs in there.

Get drop-outs and (literally) skipped beats on a dial-up connection (not
broadband).  Varies.  Choppy stream with demux_real error is
rtsp://media1.abc.net.au/broadcast/rn.rm

I do get an error on that stream:

demux_real:  invalid chunksize! (0)

But I'm now listening to (picked at random) mms://wms003.makeni.net/Akash (wmp)
and http://war.str3am.com:8510 - these (both from the UK - I'm in Southern
Europe) play very well at first  over the same connection. The latter starts
saying "alsa-play: xrun of at least 0.13 msecs, resetting stream" and goes
stoccato after a few minutes.

They do give another error:

Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: war.str3am.com (plays it anyway).

Also, should mplayer deal with .asx files?  I could play the Akash stream using
the mms:// address, but not by opening the .asx file. Same with .ram files. It
said it couldn't load avisynth.dll