[MPlayer-users] Display File Encoding

n0dalus n0dalus at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 03:55:08 CET 2006

On 2/12/06, Lionel Morrison <lmorrison at hmsystems.net> wrote:
> I new to mplayer/mencoder and I'm intrested if their is any way to
> simply output the video/audio encoding method for a particular file
>
> For example the sample rate, bit rate and type of audio file (rm, aac,
> ogg etc)
> Same for video. encoder, frame rate, key frames etc etc etc
>
> Or if their is some other linux based command line utility that someone
> can recommend.

The `file` utility that comes with most distributions can detect most
of this info (at least for known file types). You can also use mplayer
with -identify and a few options to stop it from playing anything
(-frames 0 -vo null -ao null). Check out the midentify script in the
TOOLS directory of the mplayer source; it gives easily parseable
information about files as well (it uses -identify then cleans it up a
bit).

Hope that helps.

n0dalus.