[MPlayer-users] mplayer playback sped up

robert b brsdcqb02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Feb 23 05:10:39 CET 2006

I'm having a funny problem.  When I download a RTSP (realaudio) stream (dumpstream) and play it back, it plays back fast (speeded up).  If I instead convert the rm (realplayer) file to a WAV file via

mplayer -ao pcm foo.rm

and then play the WAV file via mplayer, it works fine.  If I use lame to convert it to MP3, it again sounds sped up and distorted.

The only pattern I see is that the WAV file seems to be played back as "s16le" format, whereas the RM and MP3 files are played back as "s16be".  (I have no idea what s16be or s16le are, BTW.  Channels and sampling rate, maybe?)

Does anyone know how I might fix this?  Is my focus on the "le" vs "be" mistaken?

Thanks!