[MPlayer-users] mplayer and theora?

Bradley Alexander storm at tux.org
Sat Feb 25 00:24:04 CET 2006

I have in the past done quite a bit of reencoding. I record from my tv
capture card to disk, cut out the commercials and re-encode, divx/avi
format. Both steps are done with with mencoder.

The record stage (through webvcrplus) is as follows:
mencoder tv://#STATION# -tv
driver=v4l2:width=352:height=240:input=0:device=/dev/video0:norm=NTSC:chanlist=us-cable
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=#FFMPEGCODEC#:vbitrate=#VBITRATE# -oac
mp3lame -lameopts cbr:vol=6:br=#ABITRATE# -endpos #TIME# -o "#OUTPUT#"

The postprocessing is done with two passes of:

mencoder ${infile} -o /dev/null -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=
${bitrate}:vhq:vqmin=2:vlelim=-4:vcelim=9:lumi_mask=0.05:dark_mask=0.01:vpass=1 -vf scale=640:480 -sws 2 -vop pp=fd

I include these because I have been using these scripts for a couple of
years and options have changed and so forth, so I'm basically doing a
peer review.

I also have a Sharp Zaurus, which runs MPlayer 1.0pre7. Being space
constrained, I have been working to convert some videos to ogg theora
for playback on the Zaurus. The script I wrote for it strips the sound
to a wav, downsamples to 24000Hz and resizes the video to 320x240 with
no sound, converts the wav to ogg and recombines them. It seems to work
with .wmvs I download from the internet, but not with avi format --
either ones I recorded from the tv capture card or downloads from the
Internet.

Converted theora files give me the following errors and plays with no
audio, both on the Zaurus and on the desktop:

Too many video packets in the buffer: (4096 in 4935661 bytes).
Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.

What am I missing and how can I get these to play?

Thanks,
--b