[MPlayer-users] Interlaced playback now working...

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Feb 26 05:21:59 CET 2006

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 01:06:03AM +0300, Alexander Monakov wrote:
> On 2/21/06, RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:
> > I now (finally) have interlaced output working quite well with mplayer.
> >
> > I know well that tfields isn't supposed to work with mplayer (it even
> > says so in the man page) and I've seen for myself what a terrible job it
> > does with -vo xv.  That said, tfields does seem to be working perfectly
> > with -vo gl...
>
> Please do me a favor by explaining what you  mean by "a terrible job
> it does with -vo xv". I tried playing back interlaced video both with
> -vo xv and -vo gl (with tfields filter active in both cases), and I
> didn't see any difference. Why does the man page say it should not
> work with mplayer?

Because it makes no attempt to work whatsoever, and CANNOT! If you
have sync-to-vblank and your refresh rate matches the fieldrate fairly
well, it might happen to look about right, but this is a coincidence.
There is NO TIMING WHATSOEVER on the two fields, and in principle they
are shown with something like 50us delay between them!!

Rich