[MPlayer-users] Encoding movie results in 'jerky' .avi

Beau E. Cox beaucox at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Feb 26 08:27:28 CET 2006

Hi -

I'm new to mplayer, so perhaps the following can be
simply solved, I just haven't been able to find a
solution.

I have mplayer installed on my Gentoo Linux box:

MPlayer 1.0pre7try2-3.4.4 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel  (Family: 8, Stepping: 1)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2

I am trying to encode a dvd movie (which plays perfectly
from the dvd using mplayer) -> .avi. I followed
the instructions in the encoding example:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML-single/en/MPlayer.html#menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4-example

My movie is NTSC progressive with the same crop size
as in the example, so I used the example parameters
_exactly_. During encoding I got many, many

Frame skipped!

and

1 Duplcate frame(s)!

warnings. After encoding, the playback of the .avi file
is 'jerky' - as if frames are missing. Looking through the
list archives, I found I could eliminate the frame skipped/
duplicate warnings by using '-noskip -mc 0'. But the .avi
is still 'jerky' - I see no improvment. The audio is perfect.

Can someone lend a hand?

--
Aloha => Beau;