[MPlayer-users] MPlayer hangs playing 'Sony Pictures' DVDs.

Alexander Roalter roalter at cs.tum.edu
Mon Feb 27 15:58:31 CET 2006

Reimar Doeffinger wrote:
> Hi,
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 10:33:46AM +0100, Alexander Roalter wrote:
>> On the other hand there seems no one interested on this list to
>> implement this feature, I simply got a "don't buy these DVDs" as a
>> response.
>
> AFAIK none of the main developers do have any DVDs that make any
> problems (I know mine all work fine), so there just isn't much that can
> be done.
> Is there a list of which DVDs have these problems? If I ever run into
> one I'd at least have a look at it.
>
> Greetings,
> Reimar Doeffinger
Maybe I can send one up to Karlsruhe, I have problems with all the Discs
from Seinfeld Season 4, 5 and 6. Other Sony Titles which should contain
the problem (but I don't own) are The Missing and Gothika.

I had for a short time a patch in the libmpdvdkit2 directory applied to
use the ifo_print routines. The protected titles all have around 10-70
cell commands, whilst the normal titles have only 1-5. IIRC the same
tools are available (without patching) with play_title (or title_info)
from the libdvdread package.

cheers,
Alex