[MPlayer-users] mencoder status line

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun Jan 1 19:47:00 CET 2006

On 01/01/2006 07:36 AM, DaveG wrote:

> Could someone please point me in the direction of an explanation in
> the docs, or even just explain to me, the meaning of the mencoder
> status line?
>
> Pos: 168.1s   4640f (90%) 35fps Trem:   1min  56mb  A-V:-0.018 [2378:192]
>
> Most of it is obvious, even to me, but the last three figures after
> A-V I'm guessing at..
>
> The first decimal figure appears to to be counting down in
> thousandths, possibly duration from a keyframe or maybe A/V sync?
> The second two appear to relate to audio and video bitrates, the
> second one (192 in this case) being the audio bitrate..

The "A-V" value is indeed A-V sync - more specifically, the time
difference between the audio and video streams. (I don't offhand know
which one is subtracted from the other to determine the value shown.)

> Is the larger figure (2378 in the above case) the estimated bitrate
> for the current frame or some form of average?

As far as I can tell, judging by observed behaviour over a number of
encodes (specifically the fact that the value shifts towards and
eventually winds up at my requested bitrate), the bracketed values are
current overall bitrates for the video and audio streams respectively.

> No, I'm not using CVS and yes, I read the docs online at
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML-single/en/MPlayer.html. Either I
> missed the info or it's not there.
>
> Note.  I found this
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML-single/en/MPlayer.html#id2871386
> for mplayer, but nothing similar for mencoder.

You appear, at a glance, to be correct; the MEncoder status line does
not appear to be explained anywhere in the docs. As soon as an
authoritative answer is provided to confirm that the bracketed values
are overall bitrates, not current bitrates (a fact which I could
technically check for myself if I had to), I'll add a section to the FAQ
to remedy this.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.