[MPlayer-users] Cron mplayer issue

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Wed Jan 4 18:04:20 CET 2006

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 07:47:33 +0000
"John Coulthard" <bahhab at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I've not sovled the strange cron behavior but I have come up with a
> work round.  The default file location for -ao pcm is
> ./audiodump.wav so instead of trying to hard code the output
> location just do a cd /required/location/dir in the shell script and
> the audiodump.wav file will be put in there.
>
> For anyone serching for a solution here are my crontab comand and
> shell script.
>
> ------------------crontab comand------------------
> 21 7 * * 3 root /home/ann/rec >/home/ann/rec.log 2>&1

This is from the system crontab. Much better to do this kind of thing
in ann's crontab, then $HOME is /home/ann and the new files are owned
by ann. Having root run a script owned by a user is a security risk.
Make sure that you set PATH in the crontab to include all the
directories necessary to run the script, or use absolute paths for
every command.

> files mplayer -cache 256 -playlist
> http://www.station.co.uk/radio/aod/shows/rpms/show.rpm -ao pcm -vc
> dummy -vo null -really-quiet </dev/null &

I assume this is all on one line in the actual script.

Martin