[MPlayer-users] about multicast

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Wed Jan 4 20:38:03 CET 2006

Why the top post all of a sudden? anyway...

So you want multiple machines to play something and all be in sync.

I hear that can be tough.  I think it isn't so much a technical problem, just a
lack of application support problem.  most people don't need it, so it isn't
addressed.  most people are playing across the Net, so a durable connection (so
buffering) is more focused on.

I can think of a mod that could be made to mplayer that would solve your problem:

-StartTime yyyy:mm:dd:hh:mm:ss:tt

mplayer will keep the start of the file in sync with that datetime.

So if the Start is in the future, mplayer will wait.
If it is in the past, mplayer will seek into the file.

I wonder if mplayer will drift such that it looses a second after some amount of
playing?

Now instead of trying to stream over your lan, just use some file system protocol
and let each mplayer have access to the file.

But looking at your post, I am not sure what your input is - file or stream?

If it is a stream, then you need some sort of time stamp imbeded in the stream.

^C

ps. I suggest you rearrange the top/bottom and trim some of the needless parts
from your next post.