[MPlayer-users] Need help with deblocking (-vf pp)

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Jan 5 03:55:27 CET 2006

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 07:38:21 -0500
"John Brown" <johnbrown105 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Now I need to find out what a B-frame is. I found a tutorial here:
> http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/frame/research/mpeg/
>
> Although officially I have given up, is there a particular site that
> you can  recommend?

After a quick search on google for "B-Frames", I would suggest any of
the first page of (10) results.

> I have tried one or two, but basically they  let you select
> resolution, output file size and format. What I would need is  to be
> able to select  "Anime/Claymation/Sci-Fi/Western/Romance/Grass
> Growing/Cheetah Pouncing on Blissfully Unaware Antelope".

I know people are accustomed to have options like that, but they really
aren't necessary.  Sci-Fi/Western/Romance aren't different enough that
different encoding options would help any appreciable ammount.

The only big differences are between Live action and Animation.
Animation benefits greatly from *cmp=2 (or qns=2) but Animation will
encode just fine with standard options that work for Live action as
well.

> Or maybe it could  perform some kind of analysis to dynamically
> determine the best options.

I can't imagine how that would be possible without encoding every video
with every possible combination of options.  If you're trying to squeeze
every last bit of quality out of a certain bitrate, it's a hell of a lot
of work.  If you're just trying to do basic encoding, you just need to
use the basic options like mbd=2:trell:turbo:vpass=1/2 and use a higher
bitrate to make it look good.

> Which is the conclusion to which I have arrived. Is there a ballpark
> estimate of what MPEG-II bitrate would give me the same quality as a
> given  DX50 movie? I would like a way to know when I have probably
> done all I can.

I would say, at equal resolutions, you can expect the lavc MPEG-2
codec to need about 2X what a decent MPEG-4 codec (eg. DX50) would
require for similar qualities.  That's just a ballpark, though.