[MPlayer-users] Having trouble producing mpeg from mov

Philip Walden pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 5 18:57:35 CET 2006

The Wanderer wrote:

> Philip Walden wrote:
>
>> I am trying to convert some mov files with no audio to mpeg for
>> better compression.
>>
>> When do:
>>
>> mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2 -o
>> PC290052.mpg PC290052.MOV
>>
>> and try mplayer to see the result I get:
>>
>> Playing PC290052.mpg.
>> Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: avisynth.dll,
>> /usr/lib/win32/avisynth.dll, /usr/local/lib/win32/avisynth.dll
>> MPEG: Missing video stream!? Contact the author, it may be a bug :(
>> libavformat file format detected.
>> LAVF: no audio or video headers found - broken file?
>>
>> When I drop the "-of mpeg" option (which I understand now creates an
>> avi container) the result can be played back with mplayer. [In
>> addition I can real player, window media player to play it, but
>> quicktime lock up! separate issue]
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Below is the mencoder log with the "-of mpeg" option that appears to
>> cause the problem.
>> =====================================
>>
>> $ mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2 -o
>> PC290052.mpg PC290052.MOV
>

> <snip>
>
>> Writing AVI header...
>

> Okay, this is a problem right there. Since you specified -of mpeg, there
> should be no "AVI header" involved. I do not get a corresponding message
> with the same set of options and a random MOV file I happen to have
> sitting around (for which I specify -noaudio to duplicate your situation
> as closely as possible). This is with MPlayer/MEncoder from CVS as of
> the 27th.
>
> If I try to play the resulting file with no MPlayer options, I get the
> same messages you do up through "may be a bug", then it falls back on
> XMMS plugins trying to demux the file. If I explicitly specify -demuxer
> 35, I then get the "broken file?" message you describe.
>
> I suspect that the MEncoder output you gave and the MEncoder command
> line you provided do not go with one another. However, the problem
> appears to exist regardless.

No fooling, the output from the "$ mencoder -of mpeg ... " and on was
cut-n-pasted directly from the terminal window. So there is no chance
that I mucked it up. However, I doubled checked now and have the same
output results.

I also tried adding an -audiofile with acodec=mp2, but I get the same
bad results indicating an AVI header is being written.