[MPlayer-users] mencoder -endpos <size>mb does not work, neither does mplayer -sb XXXXX -dumpstream

Jouni.Lohikoski@iki.fi jlohikos at cc.hut.fi
Fri Jan 6 12:24:41 CET 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 04:43:48PM -0800, RC wrote:
> I don't know what your reasoning is for making an AVI out of an ASF, but
> it probably won't work.   You really need to re-encode the video/audio
> to make a playable AVI out of it.

Well my reason is that I am happy with the quality of the video and
the audio, also concerning the quality/space. But when I am burning
these ASF files to the DVD, I do not get efficiently 100% full DVD-R:s
because the ASF files are so big (~500MiB).

So what I am trying to do, is to split without re-encoding the files
when I need it. In this example I would need to split the 540 MiB file
to 394 MiB and 146 MiB media files, which ofcourse should be playable
also with Mplayer after the split.

Basically I can use dd to just cruely cut the 146 MiB out from the first
part and let media player handle the broken end of the file. But the
2nd part, 146 MiB, is the tricky one to split into working media file.

I haven't tested yet, but what will probably happen if I just dump
stream from 0:00:00 to 0:00:01, then append that 146 MiB from the
tail of the original ASF media file to that 0:00:01 long media file?
Could it work? (So saving the header and cutting lots of data from the
middle.)