[MPlayer-users] Changing aspect ratio in AVI file?

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 15:52:14 CET 2006

Hi,

On 1/6/06, Anssi Saari <as at sci.fi> wrote:

> I have a couple of avis which have 512x384 resolution, but aspect ratio
> says they are 1.77:1. No problem on my PC, but on my DVD player it is.
> Mplayer -v -frames 1 output is attached.
>
> I tried fixing this with mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -force-avi-aspect,
> but it didn't help with my DVD player, it still gets the 16:9 aspect from
> somewhere. From the docs it looks like this -force-avi-aspect affects
> something that only Mplayer supports? But what does my DVD player use
> then?

It probably only honors aspect ratio of MPEG files, not AVI files.

It looks like the only way to go (at least, I don't see any other way)
would be to re-encode your files :(

Guillaume
--
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.
    Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

MPlayer's doc is offline. Find some fresh one here:
http://tuxrip.free.fr//MPlayer-DOCS-HTML/en/
http://tuxrip.free.fr//MPlayer-DOCS-HTML/fr/