[MPlayer-users] Having trouble producing mpeg from mov

Philip Walden pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 7 03:54:09 CET 2006

The Wanderer wrote:

> Philip Walden wrote:

>>> No fooling, the output from the "$ mencoder -of mpeg ... " and on
>>> was cut-n-pasted directly from the terminal window. So there is no
>>> chance that I mucked it up. However, I doubled checked now and have
>>> the same output results.
>>

> As RC indicated, my suspicion was baseless, the message would be printed
> by the version you were using regardless of the output container. This
> has since been fixed, which is why I didn't see the same output.
>
>>> I also tried adding an -audiofile with acodec=mp2, but I get the
>>> same bad results indicating an AVI header is being written.
>>

>> I have downloaded dev-CVS-060106 and attempted to produce mpeg and
>> avi files with mpeg compression with very mixed results. You all may
>> want to check this out

<snip>

> Oof. Let me guess, you tried to make that table using a proportional
> font, right? I had to copy it out and rejigger the spacing by hand in
> order to make it readable.
>
> I agree that some of the observations involved are interesting. Here's
> the same table with what is hopefully better formatting:
>
> ==
> For avi container with mpeg video:
>   mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=<see table below> -o
> PC290052.avi PC290052.MOV
>
> vcodec       |   -o file sz   |   mplayer   |   realplayer10     |
> MS media player   |   Quicktime7
> mpeg1video   |   3028430      |   works     |   fails            |
> fails             |   crashes
> mpeg2video   |   3027836      |   works     |   needs new codec  |
> needs new codec   |   needs new SW
> msmpeg4v2    |   3013762      |   works     |   works            |
> works             |   needs new SW
>

> For mpeg container with mpeg video:
>    mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=<see table below> -o
> PC290052.mpg PC290052.MOV
>
> vcodec       |   -o file sz   |   mplayer   |   realplayer10    |   MS
> media player    |   Quicktime7
> mpeg1video   |   3051524      |   works     |   fails           |
> crashes            |   not recognized
> mpeg2video   |   3051524      |   works     |   fails           |
> fails              |   not recognized
> msmpeg4v2    |   2052 !!!!    |   no video  |   needs new SW    |
> needs new SW       |   not recognized
> ==
>
> (I presume, since you mention "needs new codec" explicitly elsewhere,
> that "needs new SW" means "said it would have to download a new version
> in order to play the file"?)

It is basically the error message I see from the player. Sometimes it
mentions codec and sometimes software.

> I expect that there were error messages printed during the encode which
> resulted in the 2052-byte output file. Although this may well not be
> related, it looks vaguely like a problem I've had (with AVI and MP4, not
> MPEG and MPEG) in which there is a buffer overflow of some sort and
> MEncoder halts itself prematurely (without crashing) in response,
> producing a ~26MB unplayable file from a ~230MB quite playable source..

I did not see any error message. It even reports the file "size: 2999005
bytes". The full terminal output is below (again).

> I think there's something else I should be able to say about this, but
> it's not coming to mind...

mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2 -o PC290052.mpg
PC290052.MOV
MEncoder dev-CVS-060106-08:45-3.2.2 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon K75 Pluto,Orion (Family: 6, Stepping: 1)
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx

success: format: 0  data: 0x0 - 0x88f7e6
Quicktime/MOV file format detected.
--------------
MOV track #0: 29 chunks, 434 samples
Image size: 320 x 240 (24 bpp)
Display size: 320 x 240
Fourcc: jpeg  Codec: 'Photo - JPEG'
--------------
MOV: longest streams: A: #-1 (0 samples)  V: #0 (434 samples)
VIDEO:  [jpeg]  320x240  24bpp  15.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
[V] filefmt:7  fourcc:0x6765706A  size:320x240  fps:15.00  ftime:=0.0667
PACKET SIZE: 2048 bytes
Opening video filter: [expand osd=1]
Expand: -1 x -1, -1 ; -1, osd: 1, aspect: 0.000000, round: 1
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffmjpeg] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MJPEG decoder)
Limiting audio preload to 0.4s
Increasing audio density to 4
VDec: vo config request - 320 x 240 (preferred colorspace: Planar 422P)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
VDec: using Planar 422P as output csp (no 1)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.

SwScaler: BICUBIC scaler, from Planar 422P to Planar YV12 using MMX2
videocodec: libavcodec (320x240 fourcc=3234504d [MP42])
New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.
Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.
Writing header...
Pos:  28.9s    434f ( 0%) 55.05fps Trem:   0min   0mb  A-V:0.000 [829:0]]
Flushing video frames
Writing index...

Overhead: inf% (2048 / 0)
Writing header...

Video stream:  829.218 kbit/s  (103652 B/s)  size: 2999005 bytes  28.933
secs  434 frames