[MPlayer-users] Having trouble producing mpeg from mov

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat Jan 7 05:33:32 CET 2006

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 18:55:03 -0800
Philip Walden <pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net> wrote:

> For mpeg container with mpeg video:
>    mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=mpeg* -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=<see table below> -o PC290052.mpg PC290052.MOV

I was suspicious enough of your results that I decided to try it myself.

I encoded MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video with audio into a MPEG container,
uninstalled all codecs installed on my Windows 2000 test box,
installed the latest media players, and tried both formats.

Quicktime plays MPEG-1 and MPEG-2
RealPlayer plays MPEG-1, needs MPEG-2 codec
WM Player plays MPEG-1, needs MPEG-2 codec