[MPlayer-users] Mplayer in Gtk2 doesnt speak in czech

Sun Jan 8 11:22:02 CET 2006

Hi Radomir Fojtik!

 On 2006.01.07 at 13:46:26 +0100, Radomir Fojtik wrote next:

> > Try setting unicode locale, i.e.
> > LANG=cs_CZ.UTF-8
>
> I tried also this, but its same. But I am not sure here, what else to
> do to use UTF on my Gentoo box - I now, there are some
> gentoo-utf-howtos, but I am not prepared and I dont want switch fully
> to UTF right now.
>
> Does your answear mean, that I can use new gmplayer only on UTF system?

Setting locale with UTF-8 encoding in runtime won't help - if mplayer
was compiled with different encoding, new gtk2 gmplayer won't work for
you at all. Consider it a feature.. developers hate gettext and other
stuff that can change language or encoding in runtime from the user's
locale. So message strings are hardcoded in your encoding (iso8859-2, I
guess) in gmplayer binary, but this conflicts with pango, which forces
all strings to be in UTF-8.

--

Vladimir