[MPlayer-users] DirectVobSub Supported?

Phil Oleynik Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Mon Jan 9 11:33:51 CET 2006

Muhammad Ichsan wrote:

>Hi All!
>
>I'm using both Windows and Linux. I wonder why I can't play subtitle
>with style (color, position, italic, bold etc) on mplayer. I have this
>.srt file but what I saw when using mplayer was the tag kept
>unprocessed.
>
>This is my .srt file (I got from someone recommended me using
>DirectVobSub and VSFilter v.2.35)
>
>Thanks for your help guys!

These tags are only supported by VobSub fulter in win32.
Some tags, like <b> or <i> that are more widely supported,
are removed by mplayer automatically, so you won't see
that junk on the screen.
Actually, your .SRT is possibly an .SSA converted to SubRipper
format, since AFAIK no app is capable to create and edit and
save such SRT. SubResync can save  such file, but editing
features of it are doubtful. The best way is to use original .SSA
so that all tags will be removed by mplayer.
To display colorful subtitles in SSA format in mplayer, currently
only mpssa application exists. It is not well developed, so
I cannot say it's a good way.

Phil