Performance Tuning H264 [Was: Re: [MPlayer-users] howto play apples quicktime movie trailers (720p)]

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Jan 11 09:30:34 CET 2006

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:48:09 +0100
Markus Schulz <msc at tastatur-junkie.de> wrote:

> prints mplayer this line?
> SwScaler: using unscaled Planar YV12 -> BGR 16-bit special converter

Yes, exactly that.

> But in booth cases the cpu reaches only a load between 60-80% (2.2GHZ
> fixed frequency). And this is really curious to me, the  software
> scaler should use as much cpu he cant get or not?

As Reimar has explained, YUV->BGR16 conversion is extremely fast, so
CPU speed is not the bottleneck.  Perhaps your AGP card is running
at 1/2X instead of the 8X it is supposed to?  Perhaps DMA is disabled
for some reason?  Perhaps the 64-bit NVidia driver is buggy/limited?

All strange posibilities, but would explain the problem.  If you do
figure out a fix, I'd certainly like to know.

> What Hardware do you use? My Card is a AGP8x FX59000 Ultra with 256MB
> Memory on an Asus A8V333 Deluxe Mainboard with a A64-3500+ Venice AMD

Vastly lower-end hardware than yours:
Athlon XP 2000
Asus A7S333
GeForce4 MX 440 (1.0-7174)