[MPlayer-users] Re: Some remaining problems w/ multimedia on Linux

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Jan 14 21:10:12 CET 2006

On 01/14/2006 02:57 PM, Reshat Sabiq wrote:

> The Wanderer <inverseparadox <at> comcast.net> writes:
>
>> Microsoft isn't the problem in this case. The problem is that only
>> people who are willing to keep it sufficiently secret (and, most
>> likely, pay sufficient amounts of money) are going to get legal
>> access to the DRM decryption methods; without those, the content
>> cannot be played. Even getting illegal access and then using the
>> resulting information could get the developers sued.
>>
>>> Although i do understand that it is likely to exclude open-source
>>> apps as well. Still, it would be a step forward.
>>
>> In the eyes of those who think that such restrictions on the use of
>> content are a bad idea, it would be a step backward.
>
> Basically, it comes down to this:
>
> 1. Linux community finds a way to deal w/ DRM (and of course fix the
> glitches w/ seeking in streams, etc.), if necessary by pulling funds
> from the community and paying for being able to legally implement it.

And since they will not be able to keep it sufficiently secret to
satisfy the licensors without closing the source, which is Out Of The
Question for many/most Linux development contexts, they probably won't
be able to get legal access even if they *can* pay for it.

(Somewhat tangentially, except for Cedega - which has an open
counterpart in the original Wine project - I don't think I know of *any*
commercial "software intended for Linux"... at least not if ports of
big-name games don't count.)

> 2. Linux remains marginalized on the desktop, particularly, in
> high-interest multimedia (most of web-based movies, and pretty much
> all world championships, olympics, NHL games, etc.). The fact that
> people think DRM is a step backward, is a step backward for Linux (or
> at least that's what it's going to lead to inevitably).

Or 3. because of public objection, as expressed in part through lack of
support under Linux, DRM fails. You may think that this is a ridiculous
idea, but I'm not yet convinced that DRM's success is inevitable.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.