[MPlayer-users] mencoder crashes kernel

Duane Evenson duane3 at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 17 23:12:25 CET 2006

Rich Felker wrote:

>On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 08:47:10PM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>

>>On Friday, 13 January 2006 at 20:36, Duane Evenson wrote:
>>

>>>My kernel crashes whenever I run mencoder. It may not crash right away,
>>>not even while mencoder is still running, but it crashes soon.
>>>My mencoder command is:
>>>mencoder -tv
>>>driver=v4l2:buffersize=300:alsa:width=640:height=480:norm=NTSC:chanlist=us-cable:channel=8:audiorate=48000
>>>
>>>tv:// -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:v4mv -vf crop=608:464:16:6,pp=lb
>>>-oac mp3lame -lameopts q=2 -quiet -endpos 60 -o test.avi;
>>>
>>>The problem started after I upgraded from 2.4.20 to 2.6.x (I've tried
>>>x=11, 12, 13, and 14). The problem presents using Fedora 4 precompiled
>>>kernels as well as my own compiled kernels. I'm currently using MEncoder
>>>dev-Fedora-GS-CVS-050904-14:36-4.0.1, and bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17). I have
>>>a mostly Redhat Fedora 4 system.
>>>
>>>Someone mentioned that this may be a problem between level 1 and level 2
>>>in v4l. I don't know. It always seems that from the call trace section
>>>of the log, the problem arises during memory page swapping.
>>>
>>>Here's the log file from the time the system crashed. Note the time,
>>>mencoder was running for about 7 minutes.
>>>============================================================================
>>>Jan 12 21:07:15 dave kernel: ------------[ cut here ]------------
>>>Jan 12 21:07:15 dave kernel: kernel BUG at include/linux/list.h:166!
>>>

>>Well, this is a kernel bug. I suspect it's related to v4l. We can't do anything
>>

>Either kernel bug or overclocked/overheating cpu, bad ram, etc.
>
>Rich

I've switched out memory cards. I've also moved the memory cards around.
I haven't overclocked my CPU, but it is a toasty Athlon XP 2000+; 56C on
the CPU and 38C on the motherboard as I type this. I have the alarm set
at 65C. Only long compiles or games trip the alarm. The MPEG encoding I
do doesn't use more than about 50% of the CPU cycles. I've tried more
aggressive encoding and found that it tends to screw up audio/video
sync. Besides, this started happening all at once; when I switched to
kernel 2.6.
Thank you for your suggestions though.

I'm surprised no one else is reporting this problem. I don't have a
weird setup. I've reinstalled a clean system except for /usr/local and
home. The problem is so consistant. If anyone has experienced similar
problems, I'd like to know.

Duane