[MPlayer-users] RTSP/RTP problems when exiting mplayer

luis.garrido at upf.edu luis.garrido at upf.edu
Sat Jan 21 15:45:48 CET 2006

Dear all,

  I have recently compiled mplayer on my Linux system, and I have added live.com
support for RTSP/RTP streaming. The versions I have used are MPlayer-1.0pre7try2
and live.2006.01.04.

  I have installed also Darwin Streaming Server 5.5.1, and tested mplayer
against this server using the file "sample_100kbit.mp4" included in the
installation of Darwin. However, mplayer gets "stucked" when I want to quit the
mplayer application using the 'q' key. Mplayer does not exit the application and
I have to force it with Control-C.

  I have used Ethereal capture the packets that travel on the net. The capture
results are ok except when I press the 'q' key. MPlayer sends a "TEARDOWN"
command to the Darwin Streaming Server, and gets a response "RTSP/1.0.460 Only
Aggregate Option Allowed". After this response mplayer sends again a "TEARDOWN"
command, and it gets the same answer. This is not the "correct" response that
mplayer should receive, and thus I think that this may the reason for which
mplayer seems to get "stucked" (may be that "mplayer" is waiting for the correct
answer). Moreover, after this "TEARDOWN" command the Darwin Streaming Server
continues to send "udp" video packets to the client, but "mplayer" does not play
them.

   I have taken a look at "live.com" mailing lists and there is a user that has
been having the same problem but with the "PAUSE" command (i.e. after sending a
"PAUSE" command the client gets a "Only Aggregate Option Allowed" answer). This
is the answer the user got in the mailing list:

>> RTSP/1.0.460 Only Aggregate Option Allowed Server DSS/5.51 (Build/489.8;
>> Platform Win32; Release/Darwin;)Cseq:Connection Close
>
> This response from the server says that it can't handle "PAUSE" on
> substreams.  Instead, you have to do a "PAUSE" on the whole
> stream.  You do this using "RTSPClient::pauseMediaSession()" (*not*
> "pauseMediaSubsession()").

  Therefore I think that there may be bug in mplayer's code. Is this correct ?

  My system is ubuntu 5.10 with kernel 2.6.12-10-686-smp and libc6 2.3.5-1ubuntu1.

  Thanks for your help and time to improve mplayer!

    Luis