[MPlayer-users] shift between video and audio

Daniel Barna daniel.barna at cern.ch
Wed Jan 25 16:51:45 CET 2006

Hi,
I have a movie grabbed from a DV camcorder (few minutes long), which I
would like to put on the web. Since the original file is really huge, I
have converted it with mencoder:

mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp3:vcodec=wmv1:abitrate=96
-vf scale=120:96 input.avi -o output.avi

1) In the resulting file there is a very small shift between audio and
video, which is disturbing in this case, since the movie is about a dance.
Does anybody know, what is the reason for this?

2) The above size (120x96) is too small, but this was needed to decrease
the filesize to an acceptable level. However, a double-sized playbak still
gives acceptable quality. Is it possible to have the movie size
doubled (240x192), but the number of pixels (that is, the file size) the
same as before?

3) What is the best format for the web, which is playable also by standrad
windows users? I found wmv1 to be installed on every basic windows system,
but mac users complained about it. Is there any common format, which mac
and basic windows (no extra install) both can play?

Thanks
Daniel