[MPlayer-users] new codec: msn messenger webcam codec (libmimic)

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Sun Jan 29 13:22:16 CET 2006

just wondering if this codec could be added to ffmpeg or mplayer

http://www.jblinux.net/libmimic/

from the site:
ABOUT
-----

libmimic is an open source video encoding/decoding library for Mimic V2.x-
encoded content (fourCC: ML20), which is the encoding used by MSN Messenger
for webcam conversations.

It was written because there was no third-party MSN-client that supported
this feature due to this proprietary/unknown codec involved. I didn't like
this lack of interoperability, so I decided to do something about it. After
studying the official MSN-client a little closer, it became clear that the
codec involved was statically linked into the executable, so there was no
easy way to use the codec code through Wine. So for fun, and challenge, I
reverse-engineered the original implementation by studying the massive
amount of assembly code involved, and after a lot of hard work I ended
up with this implementation in C.