[MPlayer-users] please help test my mplayer widescreen converter wrapper script

Daniel Manjarres danmanj2 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 21:31:07 CEST 2006

Hi all. I wrote this sophisticated script to automatically crop and resize
videos to fit my widescreen monitor. This not a 5 line shell script, this is
the REAL DEAL (or at least it works for me) and weighs in at 509 lines. It
works on 100% (*) of my video files, and since I spent 2.5 days working on
it and testing it I figured it would be nice if other people could use it
too. I wanted to ask people to try it out and let me know if it works or
not. Shell scripters who improve it would be very much appreciated.

It has some features not present in plain vanilla vf=cropdetect like:

1) it can crop WHITE letterbox bars. AND rainbow bars. AND statio ID logos.
And popup titles (like in music videos).

2) it skips the begining of the file so it does not get confused by intro
graphics or titles

3) it is aware of the screen aspect ratio, and optionally matches the crop
to fit the screen

4) It also can recenter the crop (more useful than it sounds)

5) It rescales the crop to fit the REAL monitor resolution, not the "desktop
resolution"

6) It adds black (sometimes gray; mplayer bug) bars to the re-letterbox the
active video area to fit the screen

If you have a widescreen monitor and get frustrated by widescreen content
that is letterboxed to 4:3 not automatically being de-letterboxed, then you
REALLY need to use this program. Even if you don't have a widescreen monitor
this program will make the best use of the available screen area when
playing a given file.

BUT

The program is brittle. It depends on the console output of mplayer, which
seems to change for no reason every few months. Also mplayer crashes a lot,
so the program may fail to work on a given file (but it will STILL play the
file if the de/re-letterboxing fails).

(*) So here is my current bug report against mplayer related to this script:
recent mplayer (MPlayer 1.0pre8-4.1.2) seems to misdetect aspect ratios for
some files (acording to file(1): MPEG sequence, v1, system multiplex) that
used to work fine with MPlayer dev-CVS--4.0.3, so they look ugly even with
this program. Is this already fixed somewhere? This is the only thing
keeping me from claiming I have 100% solved my problems with letterboxd
content.

Thanks for mplayer.

Daniel Manjarres