[MPlayer-users] mplayer and DTS pass-through

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 15:29:35 CEST 2006

Hi

On 7/9/06, Dominique Dumont <domi.dumont at free.fr> wrote:
> I've tried again at home, and, lo and behold, it does not work anymore. :-(
>
> Hree's the command I use:
>
> mplayer -ao alsa:device=iec958 -ac hwac3 dvd://1 -aid 128
>
> So, I've dug some more and found that the iec bit is left at audio
> when playing ac3 or DTS:

It works for me with something as simple as using aplay
like
aplay -Dspdif file_dts.wav

> domi at gandalf:~$ iecset audio off
> snd_ctl_elem_write: Operation not permitted

same thing here

> My amplifier (YAmaha A-1) confirms:
> - with ac3 I sometimes hear the characteristic tsh-tsh-tsh before my
>   ampli cuts the sound off.

mine doesn't cut the sound,
when I run mplayer , my processor (Primare SP31) shows Dolby Digital
(not DTS) and keeps blinking, no sound other that a click here and
there is heard

> - dts is decoded, but my amplifier detects it at CD/DTS (red DTS
>   light), i.e. DTS with audio bit set.
I have no idea what you mean with audio bit set.

> I've verified that AC3 and DTS work fine with gxine:
> - ac3 is decoded
> - DTS is decoded and detected as DVD/DTS (orange light)
mplayer will decode the DTS file just fine, but will play it in stereo
rather than passing it through the S/PDIF output

Jean-Yves