[MPlayer-users] Problems with smil file

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Sun Jul 9 20:41:23 CEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-09 at 01:55 +0200, Roberto Togni wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 14:03:17 -0700
> Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > The following smil file causes problems for mplayer:

> There is a bug that prevents mplayer to detect EOF in the first stream,
> the same happens if you wget the file and play it. I'll look into it.

Unfortunate!  I surmise you mean to wget the smil file, which is
what I did, except that I downloaded it using Firefox.

Very likely the problem is a timing issue.  This is the kind of thing
that would cause
        $ mplayer -playlist npr1220.smil
to succeed, while
        $ mplayer -playlist -ao alsa, npr1220.smil
fails.

> But that file is a multirate file, and usually it can't be streamed (it
> works just because it's audio-only).

Do you mean that there are problems *sending* such a file, or that even
assuming it can be sent no reasonable client will be able to *receive
it?

> BTW MPlayer support for smil files is minimal, it just does a
> brufe-force search for "audio src" and "video src" sections and gets
> the urls.

Yes.  I looked at the code.  Crude but effective.  A little work with
gdb showed that the this particular file seems to have been parsed
correctly.

> If you copy the rtsp urls and use them with mplayer they play fine.

Thanks for the info.  But I knew this already (8-).

jon