[MPlayer-users] Eagles - Hell Freezes over DVD

Francois Visagie fvisagie at za.spescom.com
Thu Jul 13 13:46:31 CEST 2006

Excellent advice all round. I also find that under circumstances like these
XviD gives up some resolution, hence the blocking during playback. The same
happens during fast movement of large objects or display areas.

As suggested by Vladimir, you can elect to leave some of the processing for
playback time. In your config file, use
vf=pp=hb/vb
for deblocking. You can adjust its parameters, but I find the defaults work
very well. The same approach of playback deblocking work very well in other
players/decoders too, e.g. turning on deblocking in the Windows XviD decoder
for Windows players. This gives you the option of deciding that you don't
mind producing files that actually contain some blocking.

If you are getting interlacing as Vladimir suspects,
vf-add=pp=ci
works very well for me on files that are actually interlaced. If used as a
default option it sligthly but noticably degrades quality for non-interlaced
files, so rather use it on demand via the command line and/or config
profiles.

Regards,
Francois

This e-mail is sent on the Spescom Terms and Conditions
that can be accessed by clicking on this link http://www.spescom.com/email.html