[MPlayer-users] Problems starting mplayer as non root (was: MPlayer and Debian Sarge)

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 19:38:21 CEST 2006

The problem is quite similar to the one reported in another message,
but this time I can't solve it.

When I start mplayer with:

$ mplayer cdda://

, I get the following:

Failed to open /dev/rtc: Permission denied (it should be readable by the user.)

Playing cdda://.
Can't open CDDA device.
Failed to open cdda://.

. Then I make /dev/rtc readable by the user:

# ls -l /dev/rtc
crw-rw----  1 root root 10, 135 2005-02-26 07:43 /dev/rtc
# chmod 777 /dev/rtc
# ls -l /dev/rtc
crwxrwxrwx  1 root root 10, 135 2005-02-26 07:43 /dev/rtc

and try again, but it says:

Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Permission denied
Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system startup scripts.

Playing cdda://.
Can't open CDDA device.
Failed to open cdda://.

. Instead, as root it's fine:

# mplayer cdda://

Playing cdda://.
Found audio CD with 14 tracks.

. The other time it was solved by changing group to the cdrom
device (/dev/sr1 in this case), but this time it does not work.

I'm really stuck, don't know how to handle this,
any suggestion highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rodolfo