[MPlayer-users] [BUG] lavc error - 2pass curve failed to converge

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Jul 14 19:09:00 CEST 2006

Giacomo Comes wrote:
>> Giacomo, try this with the attached patch:
>> $ cd .../mplayer/libavcodec
>> $ patch -p2 -R < /tmp/ffmpeg_r5422.eml
>>
>> I don't know if that will work -- only that it caused me some similar
>> problems a while ago.
>>
>> -Corey
>
> It seems to work. I have quickly tested few encoding combinations and now
> multipass encoding is ok.
>
> Question: what about 1.0pre8? As it is now it does not have a working multipass
> encoding. Should a try1 be released?

I don't know.

If I recall correctly, simply changing fabs() back to abs() isn't really
the right solution, since fabs() is doing what it's supposed to.
Changing the 0.01 threshold might be in order, or perhaps it might be
better to find why the threshold is being exceeded.

Can one or both of you please provide a sample file for reproducing
this? The only test case I had before required vmax_b_frames=2, so if
you have a file that has the same problem with default options then
debugging may be easier. Try to make the sample file as small as
reasonably possible; there's no need to upload a DVD image or anything
if only the first 500 frames are used. If you don't know how to trim
down the file, ask me and I'll send instructions.

Thanks,
Corey