[MPlayer-users] [solved] Re: Problems starting mplayer as non root

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 21:25:15 CEST 2006

Anssi Saari <as at sci.fi> writes:

> Run strace -o strace.out mplayer cdda:// to see what file you don't
> have permission for?
>
> [...]
>
> Well, there you go:
>
> open("/dev/sg0", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK)   = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
>
> It's trying to access /dev/sg* devices. Add some permissions to those
> and you should be fine.

Thanks indeed, that's it!!! :)
Without this mailing list's help I'd never worked it out:
in fact, googling around I found nothing helpful.

Anssi Saari:

> By the way, do you have a real SCSI CDROM or why is it that your CDROM
> is a SCSI device from Linux point of view? SCSI emulation hasn't been
> fashionable since 2.6 was released.

My CDROM is a SCSI device since two days ago, when I installed cdrecord
and needed to add `hdd=ide-scsi' in /boot/grub/menu.lst.
My kernel is the 2.4 though.

Bye, and thanks again!
Rodolfo

P.S.: I'm updating the whole procedure I followed for mplayer installation
      and problem-solving at:

      http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=7335