[MPlayer-users] Mplayer performance on Upgraded PowerBook Wallstreet

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Tue Jul 18 20:41:37 CEST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Ivan Kowalenko <ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com>

> What? I don't think MPlayer even knows what that chunk 'o hardware is
(let alone me). MPlayer tends to do >everything in software. The only
hardware it really uses is XvMC, and that's not supported on ATI cards.
I'm not >sure OpenGL would work too well for you (and I doubt that
would have anything to do with this decoder card >you're talking about)

I have read that MPlayer would make use of the hardware MPEG2 decoders
if available, but I do not have one, and have also seen stuff from
Googling that say it doesn't seem to use it, so I dunno.

> More than likely, yes. Assuming you have a compiler that does AltiVec
compiling decently (I've heard some >versions of the GCC don't do so
well with that).

For some reason, GCC does compile in the altivec.  I also tried
compiling it with --disable-altivec(saw it on a site somewhere as a
suggestion) and it made no difference.

> This is really rather odd, given that that G3/466 should outpace your
PIII/450 by a long shot. It's either serious >code inefficiencies for
PowerPC, or there's something really unusual with your Wallstreet.

Yeah, but the P-III does have SSE, which AFAIK, MPlayer will use for
decoding.  Since the Altivec is basically like SSE, maybe that would be
a difference.  Anyway, thanx for the reply.