[MPlayer-users] G3 Wallstreet/466 redux

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Mon Jul 24 01:53:39 CEST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Ivan Kowalenko <ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com>

> Well, why NOT use a new version of the GCC? Aren't there PPC(G3)
packages available? Or couldn't you just >compile it on your Mac
(Sounds silly, but the GCC seems to have some kind of mystical
self-compiling power)? I've >done it on my G4 (1 GHz). My only warning
is to make sure you apply any patches you see for AltiVec support. I've
>heard that it's not so wonderful with a base GCC.

The G3 lacks Altivec support.  Therefore, the patches make no
difference.  XviD recommends compiling using an assembly aid like nasm.