[MPlayer-users] Converting jpeg to mpeg, interlace problem appears

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue Jul 25 00:57:54 CEST 2006

Penelope Fudd wrote:
> HI..
>
> I've got a webcam, and I've been running the 'motion' program in order
> to catch my cat in the act of jumping on the table.  Eventually the
> computer will play the sound of my vacuum cleaner when he does it, which
> usually makes him panic and run away.

If only there were an award for creative use of mplayer... :)

> My problem is that I've been taking a bunch of jpeg files and turning
> them into an avi with this command:
>   mencoder mf://*.jpg -mf type=jpg:w=800:h=600:fps=8 -ovc copy -oac copy
> -o output.avi
>
> This works, but when I pause while playing the file with mplayer, the
> digits of the time and date that were changing are fuzzy, containing
> pixels from the previous frame and the current frame.
>
> Is there a way to get rid of this interlacing?

There are lots of ways; just search the man page for 'deinterlac'. To
start with, though, '-vf pp=lb' and '-vf pp=fd' are fast and
reasonable-quality deinterlacers. You can find better filters, or at
least ones that have different drawbacks, but I leave that research to
you. An interesting page is here:
http://guru.multimedia.cx/deinterlacing-filters/

-Corey