[MPlayer-users] Extracting subtitles from a DVD..

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Thu Jun 8 16:07:11 CEST 2006

On Thursday 08 June 2006 15:52, marianciuc wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a DVD with a movie, and, many subtitles, with diferent languages,
> including french.
> How I  extract french subitles from DVD  to txt or srt or other format ??

DVD subtitles are not stored in plaintext but as a sequence of images. You
need an application that uses some form of OCR (optical character
recognition) to convert vobsubs to plain text. For windows, there's a tool
called Subrip which can do that for you (you have to type each character as
it encounters a character it doesn't know, but after a few minutes, it runs
mostly by itself). I don't know if there's a Linux program that can do the
same. Subrip has gone opensource, so you could also port it yourself ;-)

--Ivo