[MPlayer-users] How to seek a file that is being generated

Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto please.no.spam.here at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 18:55:52 CEST 2006

Oh, to make things clear, I was recording as avi, but my latest atempt (the
one described in my last email) was to record as mpeg, as you can see in the
command line.

And thank you for the tip of speeding up playback. I actually feel stupid
for not having thought about it...

Still, it would be nice if I could seek freely. And I can't speed the
playback too much because it seems that above a certain limit (4x or
something like that), speeding up only raises the pitch of the sound, but
doesn't actually make the commercials go faster. Weird...

Thank you for the help.

On 6/12/06, RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 05:03:54 -0300
> "Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto" <please.no.spam.here at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So, how can I do this?
>
> Well, instead of seeking you could speed-up playback (doesn't require
> index) though you can't seek backwards that way.
>
> You can use a container other than AVI.  You can write MPEG-4 video into
> an MPEG container with the latest muxer, but likely no players other
> than mplayer will handle it, so you may want to remux after recording.
>
> Mencoder supports a few other formats that may work.  See -lavfopts in
> the man page.

Software is like sex: it is better when it is free.