[MPlayer-users] Garbled video

Jeff Clagg snacky at ikaruga.co.uk
Thu Jun 15 00:34:12 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 02:44:22PM -0700, Dean Montgomery wrote:
> Somehow I managed to break mplayer and I'm not sure what to do to fix it.
>
> I'm running Debian Testing.
> xserver-xorg 1:7.0.20.
> mplayer 1:1.0-pre7cvs20060430-0.4
> w32codecs 1:20060501-0.0
> nvidia video drivers from the nvidia website.
> using -vo xv
>
> I've obtained the mplayer packages from.
> deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main
>
> These packages worked great.  However some time later, after doing some
> upgrades, the video quality became very poor.
>
> I tried compiling it from source but I get the same problem.
> I tried upgrading the nvidia drivers to the latest, but I get the same
> problem.
> 3d accelerated programs still work fine.
>
> Here are two images showing the garbled opening green-screen warning text
> and the "Columbia Pictures" lady.  As you can see the picture is very poor
> and grainy.
> http://dj-monty.net/tmp/mplayer-broke1.png
> http://dj-monty.net/tmp/mplayer-broke2.png
>
> Any ideas?

I don't think this info is complete enough to diagnose the problem, but
I have a guess.

Do most other videos besides this one look ok? This is an important piece
of info which you should probably have provided. If "yes" then my guess
is you did something that "upgraded" libavcodec.

One way (maybe not the best way) of preventing this from happening is to
only use a statically compiled libavcodec.

Anyway, this is almost surely a packaging problem and not an mplayer
problem, so...