[MPlayer-users] Garbled video

Andreas Rönnquist andreas.ronnquist at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 02:40:02 CEST 2006

Dean Montgomery wrote:
> Somehow I managed to break mplayer and I'm not sure what to do to fix it.
>
> I'm running Debian Testing.
> xserver-xorg 1:7.0.20.
> mplayer 1:1.0-pre7cvs20060430-0.4
> w32codecs 1:20060501-0.0
> nvidia video drivers from the nvidia website.
> using -vo xv
>
> I've obtained the mplayer packages from.
> deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main
>
> These packages worked great.  However some time later, after doing some
> upgrades, the video quality became very poor.
>
> I tried compiling it from source but I get the same problem.
> I tried upgrading the nvidia drivers to the latest, but I get the same
> problem.
> 3d accelerated programs still work fine.
>
> Here are two images showing the garbled opening green-screen warning text
> and the "Columbia Pictures" lady.  As you can see the picture is very poor
> and grainy.
> http://dj-monty.net/tmp/mplayer-broke1.png
> http://dj-monty.net/tmp/mplayer-broke2.png
>
> Any ideas?

I've had the exact same problem (also on Debian Etch). I've also
unsuccessfully tried th svn version, but managed to solve the problem
using the mplayer version from Ubuntu - version number
(2:0.99+1.0pre7try2+cvs20060117-0ubuntu8) , So I believe it is a
packaging problem in the debian-multimedia repository.

I believe this is an somewhat ugly solution, but perhaps the best one
until Debian-Multimedia repository is updated with a fully functional
package.

(At the moment I was lucky enough to have an Ubuntu Dapper partition
where I just could snatch the mplayer deb, though i do think the package
should be easily availible somewhere on the net. - I'm not 100% sure if
I needed to get any other packages from Ubuntu though, or If that was
the only one needed.)

/Andreas