[MPlayer-users] Building MPlayer Fails

Alexander Strange astrange at ithinksw.com
Fri Jun 16 08:15:16 CEST 2006

On Jun 16, 2006, at 1:21 AM, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2006, at 02.40, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 6/14/06, Ivan Kowalenko <ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Jun 14, 2006, at 00.30, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>>> I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but I'm attempting to
>>> use GCC 3.4.6, as opposed to the Apple provided GCC 4.0.1. Don't
>>> know
>>> if this is an issue, but it's probably worth mentioning.
>>
>> That could indeed be an issue. I don't know OSX enough to be sure,
>> but
>> I'd say that before experienting with exotic setups, you'd be better
>> off trying with the defaults of your platform to confirm that it
>> works.
>
> Figures. I had heard that GCC 3.4 produced code that was,
> generally, better (faster, smaller) than that produced by GCC 4.0.1.

Don't worry, Apple's GCC is heavily modified and definitely better
than 4. (although I've been trying the upcoming FSF GCC 4.2 and it's
looking pretty good)

>> Once it works, your can do some experiments.
> [snip]
>>
>> No idea, besides the fact that it looks like a problem with the
>> Altivec intrinsics. Better try with Apple's GCC (which is MUCH better
>> with regards to intrinsics than FSF's gcc).
>>
>> Guillaume
>
> I'm now using Apple's GCC 4.0.1. Again, a compile error (yes, I
> made clean, and reconfigured). Another error (It's like I have the
> Dynamically Linked Libraries Of The Damned).

aalib and X11 OpenGL probably can't be used on OS X since they have
symbol conflicts with system libraries. The only decent vo here is
macosx anyway; I'd --disable-x11 and AA. That might fix the other
errors, but I don't think so, since I've never seen anything like
them before. Maybe some other library is still built with gcc 3?

PS there's no such thing as -O4! It only goes up to 3! I see stuff
like -O20 in builds sometimes and it's totally ridiculous.