[MPlayer-users] Re: can't play some videos

Luiz Fernando C Camargo lfcamar at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 17:40:44 CEST 2006

Corey Hickey wrote:

> Luiz Fernando C Camargo wrote:
>>
>> I use Debian GNU/Linux and I have installed mplayer,
>> w32codecs, mozilla-mplayer (mplayer plugin for mozilla),
>> mozplugger, swf-player, xmms-xmmplayer and probably more, but
>> I can't play any videos from my ISP, although I can play some
>> videos from other sites and most often from command line. As
>> an example, can you folks play this public video?
>>
>> <http://cinema.terra.com.br/interna/0,,OI1042142-EI1176,00.html>
>>
>> [Click on "Assista ao trailer!" please.]
>>
>> I was told by my ISP that their system has been tested with
>> linux and it should work fine, but I am not sure. Can someone
>> please tell me what is up? what should I do? what about people
>> who use other distros?
>
> Can you please post a direct link to the video file itself?

I can't, _that_ is the problem.

> All I get, eventually, is a page telling me I need to
> download real player and flash. Since I'm on my home machine
> right now, which is a pure 64-bit system, I can't install
> either of those without jumping through hoops.

I do have realplayer installed also and the site knows about it,
but still, I can't watch these movies.

> As a side note, I really hate it when sites try to determine whether I
> can play a video or not and then refuse to let me get to the video when
> their detection test fails.

So do I.

> If this is your ISP, you should suggest to them that they
> present the user with a direct-download link on the same
> page that tells what software they need. Or, better yet,
> stop embedding their videos, but that might be too much to
> ask.

That's a good idea, but I doubt they will do that. Actually,
this is a very common practice isn't it? unfortunately.

The thing works fine in windows though, so I suspect they want
everybody to use windows :(  but I'm not sure, maybe something
is missing in my installation or some configuration, I don't
know.

Thanks, Corey