[MPlayer-users] ffmpeg and the DLL codecs for WMV (etc)

Vacuum Joe vacuumjoe at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 18 01:43:07 CEST 2006

Hello Mplayer users,

I have a question which is more on the developer side.
 I'm trying to create a command-line tool to capture
single frames from video files.  This includes MPEG
files and WMV files (and MOV files would be nice too).

My first approach on this was to use ffmpeg, which has
some handy libraries: libavcodec and libavformat.  I
know that MPlayer itself is fantastic at working with
the win32 codec packs to let me play any video I want
on Linux.  I assumed that all this work was done
within ffmpeg.

But that does not appear to be the case.  I started
with this simple example code:
http://www.inb.uni-luebeck.de/~boehme/using_libavcodec.html
and the ffmpeg source downloaded from svn.

I compiled it and used it and it was great for
capturing mpeg thumbnails, and I could easily modify
it to take command line arguments, and output in
different formats, etc, but it does not support WMV
files.

What is my best next step here?  Is there a compile
option for ffmpeg that I'm missing?  Or am I totally
on the wrong track?

Thanks for any tips on this.