[MPlayer-users] ffmpeg and the DLL codecs for WMV (etc)

Vacuum Joe vacuumjoe at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 18 02:26:15 CEST 2006

> > So if I simply want to grab frames out of videos
> > like the one I tried, do I need to start
> > hacking on MPlayer code, or?
>
> mplayer inputfile.ext -ss 01:00 -frames 5 -vo png
> -ao null ; mv 00000005.png frame.png
>
> frame.png should end up being a frame from around
> 01:00.
>
> The first few might be from the start of the file...

Ah thank you!  That will be quite helpful.  But I
still need to pursue getting WMV9 (aka WMV3) to run
within ffmpeg, for two reasons:

1. This all runs on a headless webserver and needs to
be automated.  The problem is this is a x86_64 server
so the windows codecs packs (used by MPlayer) won't
work I believe.

2. Ideally this will all run within some Java
processes, allowing web control, etc, without forking
a bunch of shell processes.  If I can get ffmpeg to do
it, it will be easy and reliable to control the whole
thing through JNI.  I'll publish the code and post a
link here when I have that.

So the mplayer options you suggested above are great,
but if I can get ffmpeg to do this that will be even
better.

So is the VC1 hack my best approach right now, with
the mplayer command lines as a backup option?